Thursday, October 20, 2011

Time Machine Trip 1: Setting the Stage

Wow!  Look at me blogging two days in a row!

Yesterday, I mentioned that I had so much to catch everyone up on that I didn't know where to start.  So, I'm rewinding to earlier this Spring and setting the stage for the sequence of events that brought us to spend three months in LA.

---------------

Adam was working in Cincinnati in healthcare IT and really enjoying it, and I was in the marketing department of a medical software company where I had been for almost 6 years.  The boys were with a babysitter (the 11th sitter in the previous 5 years - lots of drama).  She was taking great care of them and they loved her very much.  Life was super hectic but manageable.  When recruiters started calling Adam about new opportunities that required extensive travel, he told them "Thanks but no thanks."

Recruiters continued to hound him for another 3 months or so until he really listened to what they had to offer.  Although the new opportunities required him to travel every Monday - Thursday, it also allowed me to be able to quit my job and stay home with the boys full-time.  I've always wanted to do this, but it's really just never been an option.  And while Adam would be traveling so much and away from the boys, the chance to keep our boys home and raise them "our way" was just too tempting.  We couldn't refuse the offer.

After we made the decision in early summer to consider these new possibilities, everything started to move really quickly.  I put in my notice at work and continued to work with them from home for nearly 5 weeks to ease the transition for them.  Adam was assigned to a customer site in Pasadena, CA.  His schedule from July until we left in October required him to leave VERY early Monday mornings and he would return late Thursday night.

Ok, so now you know the background story.  The next trip in the time machine will take us to my first summer as a stay at home mom (don't call me a housewife - blah) and Adam's experiences traveling across the country and back each week.

Our summer project - a huge flower and vegetable garden.  Watering the flowers and grass kept me busier
than I expected!

No comments:

Post a Comment